This week’s recipe for the Tuesday’s with Dorie challenge came from Madam Chow’s Kitchen , who chose Pecan Honey Sticky Buns. However, as you can tell by my title, I clearly didn’t do that specific recipe. An alternate choice was offered–which I gladly chose, as I was not able to figure out how to manipulate the recipe (with great success) to fit into hubby’s new doctor-assigned diet. Though, there are many talented people on the TWD blogroll, so I’m sure I’ll find someone who did it successfully. As for me, I chose a recipe that had been done for TWD on 1 Jan, but I wasn’t able to make: Brown Sugar-Pecan Shortbread. An excellent choice, if I do say so myself!
I decided to use oat flour in place of a portion of the white flour (I got the idea from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking), which makes perfect sense, as now it is a lovely Scottish Shortbread (since oats are so very Scottish). The oats, pecans, and cloves worked so lovely together; the recipe came together very naturally. I was very pleased. I did cheat (not on the recipe, but on hubby’s diet) and use real butter–really, can you have true shortbread without real butter? It did taste wonderful!
I was terribly anxious about the recipe, as I am usually terrible with anything that requires patting, refrigerating, etc.…basically, anything related to a pie crust. However, Dorie managed to put together a phenomenal recipe that just made it work, even for us crust-challenged cooks. Dorie does recommend to roll the shortbread into a bag (or between saran wrap) and refrigerate. I felt that given the small-batch size of my recipe, patting into the pan would be fine. The proof is in the pudding, it tasted delightful!
- 1.55 oz oat flour
- .25 oz all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 t cornstarch
- tiny pinch cloves
- 1.30 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- .90 oz brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 T toasted, finely-ground pecans
- Whisk flours, cornstarch, and cloves together in small bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter, salt and brown sugar together until well-mixed.
- Add flour mixture and beat until just mixed, resembling pebbles. Add pecans and gently stir until mixed.
- Pat dough into greased loaf pan and prick with fork. Refrigerate two hours.
- Bake at 300º F for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Enjoy! Sharing Optional.™